As the summer months wind along, Diane Bourdo, CFP®, was invited by WealthManagement.com to share her thoughts on one of her true passions: books. More specifically, Diane was invited to recommend a summertime read to share with other financial advisors in this article, ‘Nine Book Recommendations From Advisors to Get You to the End of Summer.’
Diane recommends, ‘The Suicide Index: Putting My Father’s Death in Order’ by Joan Wickersham. She explains, “After attending Amy Florian’s Corgenius workshop on working with clients experiencing grief, I had a new curiosity about suicide, its aftermath, and its taboo status in our culture.”
A National Book Award Finalist, Wickersham’s memoir explores the effects of traumatic loss on survivors following her father’s suicide. It is both philosophical and deeply personal, as she explores every facet of her family history in her search for an elusive truth. A daughter’s loving elegy to her father, her account is enlightening, brave, surprising, funny, and thought-provoking. In the book, Wickersham explores, with refreshing frankness, the impact this tragedy has had on her, her immediate family, and their community – not only in the immediate aftermath but from a legacy standpoint.
“Despite the subject matter, her account isn’t morbid or depressing – it’s fascinating and nuanced. It’s an eye-opening look at the impact of suicide on surviving family members, and it will open your heart with empathy for anyone who has experienced this tragedy,” adds Bourdo.
The article includes book recommendations from eight other advisors, and the topics range from a thriller to books about the psychology of money, happiness, and the beauty of living life and being present. The titles include:
- The Good Life: Lessons form the World’s Longest Scientific Study of Happiness by Robert Waldinger and Marc Schulz
- Find Your Freedom Financial Planning for a Life on Purpose by Jamie P. Hopkins and Ron Carson
- The Psychology of Money: Timeless Lessons on Wealth, Greed, and Happiness by Morgan Housel
- Lessons in Chemistry by Bonnie Garmus
- The Art of Living by Thich Nhat Hanh
- From Strength to Strength: Finding Success, Happiness, and Deep Purpose in the Second Half of Life by Arthur C. Brooks
- Last Man Standing by David Baldacci
- The Wager: A Tale of Shipwreck, Mutiny and Murder by David Grann
The Humphreys Group is a women-owned and women-operated wealth management firm based in San Francisco, California. The firm offers highly focused financial planning and disciplined asset management to a range of clients. Their expertise is helping women in transition navigate their particular challenges — such transitions as marriage, divorce, widowhood, inheritance, or that first stock option grant. Their passion is helping their clients take control of their financial lives and get smart about money.